SERVICES & RESOURCES
Providing thoughtful, compassionate and affordablelegal support to families going through separation and divorce.
DIVORCE AND SEPARATION
Going through a separation and divorce is one of life’s most difficult challenges. I can help you understand how the law applies to your situation and guide you through the process for resolving your family law problems.
The resources below will give you some initial guidance and introduce you to rich sources of online information. Explore it on your own or let me help you.
The upheaval of divorce and separation has an enormous impact on children. There are different approaches to parenting after separation and different paths for arriving at a plan that is in the best interests of your children. I can help you find the solution that works best for your newly restructured family.
The resources below will introduce you to the basic laws related to parenting after separation and divorce. You will also find some help with parenting plans and resources for children and teens.
- Basic information about the law related to parenting after divorce: Parenting apart
- Online tool to help you make a parenting plan: Creating a Parenting Plan
- Interactive game for children going through separation and divorce: Changeville
- Website for children going through separation and divorce: A Kid’s Guide to Separation and Divorce
- Website for teens going through separation and divorce: Teen Guide to Separation and Divorce
- Information about Parenting After Separation Course
- In-person program for kids going through separation and divorce: Caught in the Middle
- Information about moving after separation or divorce: Can you move—with or without your child?
- Travelling with your children: Do you need any legal documents to be able to leave Canada with your child?
I can help you understand what child support obligations apply in your situation and work with you to make sure your children benefit from the ongoing support of both their parents, wherever possible.
Here are a few links to information about child support, as well as to child support calculators.
The law about spousal support can be uncertain and complicated. I can provide you with clear and understandable advice about how the law applies to your situation and how likely outcomes align with your expectations and goals. I can work with you to reach agreements or get court orders that resolve spousal support issues.
The resources below will give introduce you to the basic laws related to child spousal support and connect you with some basic support calculators.
The law provides a framework about how property and debts are to be divided after separation and divorce. Applying the law and coming to an agreement can be challenging. I can help you navigate the steps to reaching a fair division of property and debts.
Here are some resources that explain the basic law related to dividing property and debt after separation.
FAMILY LAW PROCESSES
You may have heard of mediation, collaborative law, arbitration, and different courts. Figuring out the maze of family justice processes and services can be complicated. With my in-depth knowledge of family law processes and experience with creating easy to understand legal information, I can give you clear and concise information about the different options you have for resolving your family law issues. I can guide you to and through the process that will work for you.
These resources below will give you some basic information about some common tools for resolving family law problems.
- Information about mediation:
- Information about collaborative law:
- Information about parenting coordination:
- Information about arbitration
If you are ready work toward reaching an agreement with your spouse or former spouse, I can help you come up with a clearly written and understandable agreement that suits your needs.
Here are some resources that can help you understand more about agreements.
- Making an agreement after you separate: Describes agreements (often called separation agreements), how to make one, what to do with it once you’ve made it, how to change or enforce an agreement, and when to get a consent order instead.
- Creating a Parenting Plan: Department of Justice Parenting Plan Tool
- Making an agreement when you live together: Information for married or common-law couples about how to make a written agreement (sometimes called a cohabitation or marriage agreement) while you live together.
- Separation Self-Help Guide: an interactive guide to creating a simple separation agreement